Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Issue with Block Until Done

Trailduck
7 - Meteor

Hi all,

I have a workflow that writes a set of records to SQL. It should first write records in the "Update; Insert If New" container, and after that is done it should continiue with the "Write Log" container. I've set up a Block Until Done tool as displayed in the screenshot, but when I run the workflow it does not pass any data through it. It stops at the select tool before the Block Until Done tool, and the result window says "Memory limit reached. Use a Browse tool to view full results". I've overridden the memory limit on both tool and designer level, so this is not the issue.

Any thoughts? 

Trailduck_0-1679383497148.png

16 REPLIES 16
Cesc
8 - Asteroid

Hi  ,

If you are experiencing the "Memory limit reached" error message in Alteryx, you may need to adjust the memory settings for your workflow or for the Alteryx Designer application itself.

To adjust the memory settings for your workflow, you can follow these steps:

1. Open your workflow in Alteryx Designer.
  2. Click on "Workflow" in the top menu bar and select "Workflow Configuration".
  3. In the "Workflow Properties" window, click on the "Runtime" tab.
  4. Under "Memory usage", you can adjust the "Memory quota" setting to increase the amount of memory allocated to your workflow. You can also enable the "Auto Configure Memory" option to let Alteryx automatically adjust the memory usage based on the available system resources.

To adjust the memory settings for the Alteryx Designer application, you can follow these steps:

1. Open Alteryx Designer.
  2. Click on "Options" in the top menu bar and select "User Settings".
  3. In the "User Settings" window, click on the "Advanced" tab.
  4. Under "Engine Settings", you can adjust the "Default Memory Quota" setting to increase the amount of memory allocated to the Alteryx Designer application.

Keep in mind that increasing the memory usage may not always solve the issue. You may need to optimize your workflow or break it down into smaller workflows to reduce the amount of data being processed at once. Additionally, if you are working with very large datasets, you may need to consider using a different data processing tool or approach that can handle larger amounts of data more efficiently.

Please also keep in mind that for what you explain, it could be an issue of missconfiguration of the Block Unitl done tool.

Trailduck
7 - Meteor

I have tried both of these with no luck. The dataset is no more than ~500 records, so it's super lightweight.

Cesc
8 - Asteroid

Oh wait, what about using the browse tool as it is asking in the screenshot?

Trailduck
7 - Meteor

No luck by doing that either.

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

two questions. what happens if you toggle off one container?

If you use a browse tool can you see the results? 

Trailduck
7 - Meteor

Still same result. Seems like nothing is going through the Block Until Done tool. 

Trailduck_0-1679408775779.png

Cesc
8 - Asteroid

Hi @Trailduck , are you ok with sending the worflow to see how I can help you. maybe if data is sensitive you can send test data?

darryl5280
10 - Fireball

Use only 1 output connection on the "Block Until Done" tool and then connect them in order you want your output connections to run.

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

Two things- what database type are you writing to - and is AMP on - if so - can you toggle it off?

Labels