Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Intermitent SSL connect error using the download tool to connect to API

patrickprentice
8 - Asteroid

I have an iterative macro running that has to call an API endpoint between 600-700 times.  Weirdly over the past couple days the workflow this macro is in has been failing due to a "Error transferring data: SSL connect error".  There's no consistency in the number of iterations it makes it through (the lowest was 37 and the highest was 624).

I've read other posts on the community board about this and none of the issues seem to be similar to mine.  It works 99.99% of the time how it should, it's just that randomly a single attempt will get the connect error.  We did upgrade recently from 2020.x to 2023.1 but it's been working fine for months now since that upgrade.

Has anyone else run into this?

3 REPLIES 3
Charmi1
5 - Atom

hello,

I'm sorry to hear about the intermittent SSL connect error you're experiencing with the download tool when connecting to the API. To troubleshoot this issue, consider the following steps:

1. Check SSL Configuration: Verify that the SSL certificate on the server is valid and properly configured. Ensure it is not expired, and the intermediate certificates are correctly chained.

2. Review API Endpoint URL: Double-check the API endpoint URL in your download tool. Ensure it is accurate, and there are no typos or missing characters.

3. Firewall and Security Software: Temporarily disable any firewall or security software on your machine to see if they might be causing interference. If the issue persists, try adding exceptions for the API endpoint.

4. Proxy Settings: If you're behind a proxy, ensure that your proxy settings are configured correctly in the download tool. Incorrect proxy settings can lead to SSL connection errors.

5. Update Download Tool: Ensure that you are using the latest version of the download tool. Developers often release updates to address compatibility issues and improve security.

6. SSL/TLS Protocols: Check if the API server supports the TLS version configured in your download tool. It's possible that the server may require a specific SSL/TLS version.

7. Contact API Provider: Reach out to the support or technical team of the API provider. They might be aware of any ongoing issues or have specific recommendations for connecting to their service.

8. Logging and Debugging: Enable detailed logging in your download tool to capture more information about the SSL connection error. Analyzing the logs can provide insights into the root cause.

Remember to document any error messages you encounter and share them with the API provider or the support community if seeking further assistance. Troubleshooting SSL issues can be complex, but systematically going through these steps should help pinpoint and resolve the problem.

patrickprentice
8 - Asteroid

Well I've gone almost a week now without the error popping up.  I'm assuming it was a problem on the API provider's side but I'm keeping my eye out just in case.

patrick_mcauliffe
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

Hey @patrickprentice it sounds like you may have overwhelmed the API server or just hit a patch of bad connectivity (yours, theirs, or in between).

If it happens again, I would try throttling your API calls.

First, by lowering the number of max connections (Download properties --> Connection --> Maximum Connections).

Then, by adding a Throttle tool before the Download tool.

If throttling your API calls doesn't make a difference its time to look into other connectivity issues.

PingPlotter is good way to visualize where your issues might be.

Labels