Join the Alteryx Community’s Maveryx Summer Cup event! Compete, network with others, and earn your gold through a series of challenges from July 24th to August 11th. Learn more about the event here.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Interface Conditional Workstream Selection in Analytics App

nlarson002
6 - Meteoroid

Hello!

I have been trying to figure out a way to create a conditional interface in the app that would determine which container to update a file in.  Basically, the idea would be a like what is shown below in the figure.  

Drop down in app to choose between 1 and 2

If 1, the file update should update container 11

If 2, the file update should update container 12

Output should only be the one that is selected

Conditional Question.PNG

I am running into an error in my app that the input file not chosen needs an input. 

Any help would be much appreciated!  

4 REPLIES 4
BenMoss
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus
At present you are disabling the input but that doesn't stop it trying to write the output, hence the error.

Instead you should connect your action directly to the tool container itself, which you can either enable or disable based on the users action.

By disabling the whole container you disable both the read and the write, rather than just the read.

Personally for this task I would just use two radio buttons rather than a drop down, but the solution will work with either.

Have a go at this and ping us if you need further help.

Ben
nlarson002
6 - Meteoroid

Hello BenMoss!

Thanks for your quick response!  I tired to have the conditional formula attached to the container box, but it still gives me an error that I have to indicate a input for the disabled container that is not being updated.Conditional Question 2.1.PNG

Conditional Question 2.PNG

Updated the example,yxwz

danrh
13 - Pulsar

Make these two changes:

1- Specify a file in each Input Data. For ease of development I'd suggest a file that will match the format of what users will be selecting.

image.png

2- In your two Action tools that update your Input Data tools, make sure to select "File - Value = ..." in order to update the file path with the user selection.

image.png

See attached. Note that I changed your file paths in your Output Data tools to relative so I could work with them.

Hope it helps!

nlarson002
6 - Meteoroid

Thanks so much!  Out of curiosity, what would you do if you had more than 2 options?   

Labels