Join the Alteryx Community’s Maveryx Summer Cup event! Compete, network with others, and earn your gold through a series of challenges from July 24th to August 11th. Learn more about the event here.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Insert a carriage return for a new line within the same cell

wendy_lu
6 - Meteoroid
Hi, Alteryx expect,

I have a need to insert two carriage return for a long string into new lines when seeing  special characters, for example my current string is:"index1 is 10 and index2 is 20"
that I want to change to within the same field:

index 1 is 10

index2 is 20  

is there is functions to insert a carriage return with the Formula? or Regex has this feature? Thanks!
13 REPLIES 13
jeblucas
5 - Atom

The Email widget only respects newlines if you type out the Body portion and have them there. If, like me, you need to have the Body be a field because it's constructed in the flow, you need to make sure your field has <br /> tags in it to get newlines. 

If your "fullBody" formula is something like 

[body1] + "

" + [body2] + "

" + [body3]

It will look OK in a preview, but passing this to "Body: Use a field" in the Email widget will turn the newlines into spaces in the HTML formatted message.

If you want to pass newlines into "Body: Use a field" your fullBody formula would need to be

[body1] + "<br />"

+[body2] + "<br />"

+ [body3]

ColinG
6 - Meteoroid

Unfortunately if you are using a report text tool and a render tool to write to PDF then Ned and jeblucas suggestions do not work.

Lepome's suggestion might work but in my situation would be a silly number of tools to join everything back together because I have some logic in mine (i.e.) 

If !IsEmpty([Field 2]) then
[Field 1] + (carriage return that doesn't work in Alteryx) + [Field 2] else
[Field 1] endif

Alteryx many vagaraties frequently become exhausting. This should be easy to do or find the answer in 5 minutes. I've been at it almost 2 hours. I'm about to have to restructure my whole flow to account for the fact I can't figure it out right now, and that will take several additional hours. 

ColinG
6 - Meteoroid

Actually Lepome's suggestion didn't work either. When I created the concatenated field with the carriage return and line break in a report text tool, and then later used that field in a 2nd report text tool where I really need it to work, instead I got the below output visible in the PDF. 

This forum software is a little too smart for it's own good. I couldn't paste the text directly in or it would say not allowed. I couldn't find a way to encapsulate/escape it to just display. I couldn't show a screenshot of the actual PDF due to needing to redact the name and title of the person I was using.

0UtA3JFwz0.png

tgarf12
5 - Atom

Hi Ned, 

Is this in the regular formula tool or the multifield formula tool?

Labels