Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

In-DB formulas

Matthew
11 - Bolide

I am trying to duplicate an existing workflow using nothing but In-DB tools, but i am having a hard time figuring out how to use the in-DB formula tool

could someone please help me figure out what i'm doing wrong? here is the formula i'm trying to replicate, but i cant get even the most simple concatenations to work..

if

[PNRLocatorID] = Null()

then

[BATCH_ID]+'|'+[IssueDate]+'|'+[Min_FlightDate]+'|'+[POO_Origin]+'|'+[TrueNDOD]+'|'+[AgencyCode]+'|'+[TotalTktCouponCount]

else

[PNRLocatorID]

endif

NothingButThyme_0-1633710607499.png

3 REPLIES 3
apathetichell
18 - Pollux

in-db formulas use SQL  so you need to use CONCAT('Batch_ID','IssueDate) etc...  Haven't used the IF much in In-Db - maybe an CASE WHEN THEN ELSE END syntax? Or just datastream out and in...

AkimasaKajitani
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @Matthew ,

There is difference from Formula tool expression and In-DB Formula tool expression.
In In-DB Formula tool, you should follow SQL expression.

For example, I made the table of how to express the field and value.

FieldValue(String)
Alteryx

[] : square blanket

ex [Field1]

'' or "" : Single or Double quotation

ex "apple" , 'apple'

SQL

"" : Double quotation

ex "Field1"

'' : Single quotation

ex  'apple'

This makes Alteryx users very confused.

And In SQL, we can't use IF function. We can use CASE WHEN function instead of it.

I think the following expression will work well.

CASE
WHEN "PNRLocatorID" IS NULL THEN Concat_WS('|',"BATCH_ID","IssueDate","Min_FlightDate","POO_Origin","TrueNDOD","AgencyCode","TotalTktCouponCount")
ELSE "PNRLocatorID"
END

I tried that expression at MS SQL Server. If your Database is not support some of the functions, it may not work.

cmcclellan
13 - Pulsar

inDB uses the SQL of the database engine that you're connecting to.  I usually login to the database and write and test the formula there before pasting into Alteryx.

You can see from @AkimasaKajitani 's post - that might work and will work on MS SQL, for other engines the syntax might be different.

Labels