Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Importing Files from a Shared Server

eleee3
8 - Asteroid

Hi there,

My company uses a shared server to store files, such that file paths read "/Users/Adam/Server/..." and "/Users/Bianca/Server/..." for two users named Adam and Bianca. This has historically been an issue when, for example, Adam imports a file into Alteryx (writing the file path under his name - "/Users/Adam/Server/..."), and Bianca later tries to access the same workflow and has to amend each of the file names in the workflow to "/Users/Bianca/Server/..." to be able to execute any functions involving these files.

This can be a bit of a painful process as a few people tend to work on the same workflows and constantly have to update the names. We haven't used Alteryx over the last few months but will again shortly. I just wanted to check in with the community to see if this issue has been fixed, or if anyone's found a better or faster workaround than manually changing the file paths each time a new person opens a workflow?

Thanks in advance!

1 REPLY 1
Felipe_Ribeir0
16 - Nebula

Hi @eleee3 

You could use the GetEnvironmentVariable("USERNAME") function and parametrize your inputs/outputs like this, so it would work for every user (my user is User01 on my current machine):

Felipe_Ribeir0_0-1674089172155.png

Labels