Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Identify last day of the month (Business day)

ZahinOsman
8 - Asteroid

Hi All,

I need to write a code to identify the last day of the month, but only on business days. Meaning if the last day of the month is 31st and on a Saturday, I will need it to identify 30th (Friday) as the last day of the month.

To provide context, I have this table below;

ScheduleRun Today?
DailyYes
DailyYes
DailyYes
DailyYes
Monthly (Monthend)No
Monthly (Monthend)No

If the schedule is Daily, then "Run Today?" will be "Yes".

For "Monthly (Monthend)", I only want it to be "Yes" under "Run Today?" if the date is on the last business day of the month.

if [Schedule] = "Daily" then "Yes"
Else "No"
ENDIF

I currently have this filter written up. Is there anyway I can expand on this to include Monthly (Monthend)?

Best regards,

11 REPLIES 11
DataNath
17 - Castor

Hey @ZahinOsman, I'm just a little bit confused about the process here - am I right in thinking this is a workflow that you have scheduled/run everyday? And therefore all of the 'Daily' records/schedules will be 'Yes' every day, but for those 'Monthly (Monthend)' records, when the workflow runs you want to check each day whether it's the final business day of the month and therefore [Run Today?] should be switched to 'Yes'?

ZahinOsman
8 - Asteroid
yes sir
DataNath
17 - Castor

@ZahinOsman thanks for confirming!

Here's what I've put together. It's worth noting that this only handles weekends - I think if you want to integrate other non-working days like bank holidays etc then you'll need to add another lookup table into this.

1) We generate the current month from first to last day:

DataNath_0-1680253607901.png

2) We Filter out all days that are a Saturday/Sunday:

DataNath_1-1680253639202.png

3) We then find the Maximum (last) day that remains:

DataNath_2-1680253660468.png

4) After appending this to our main table, we then do the following check - if [Schedule] is 'Daily' then we leave it as 'Yes' and if not we check whether the [LastBD] date = today. If so, we change it to 'Yes' and if not we leave it as 'No'.

DataNath_0-1680254360403.png

Finally we just use a Select to remove the temporary [LastBD] date.

Hope this helps!

Christina_H
14 - Magnetar

Here's a formula that'll find the last working day of the current month

DateTimeAdd(DateTimeTrim(DateTimeToday(),"lastofmonth"),IIF(DateTimeFormat(DateTimeTrim(DateTimeToday(),"lastofmonth"),"%u")>'5', 5-ToNumber(DateTimeFormat(DateTimeTrim(DateTimeToday(),"lastofmonth"),'%u')),0),"day")

ZahinOsman
8 - Asteroid
I owe you my life <3
ZahinOsman
8 - Asteroid
Thanks boss
ShankerV
17 - Castor

Hi @ZahinOsman 

One more way to do with the help of formula tool.

ShankerV_0-1680254782386.png

If the same workflow has been ran on 28-04-2023.

ShankerV_1-1680254899392.png

Many thanks

Shanker V

RobertOdera
13 - Pulsar

Hi, @ZahinOsman 

Try the below.

I hope you find it helpful - Cheers!

RobertOdera_1-1680279399694.png

RobertOdera_0-1680279321922.png

ZahinOsman
8 - Asteroid

Hey,

for your first part of the formula "DateTimeToday()", do you know how to change this so that it reads T-1?

eg. todays date is 4/3/2023, i would like it to read 3/31/2023. Thus, the weekends are not included.

if it was 4/4/2023, I would like it to read 4/3/2023 and etc.

So it goes by a T-1 basis excluding weekends

Labels