Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

IF statement heirachy

StephanieReid
5 - Atom

Hello, 

I am working on a flow that will not always have some of the inputs. There are a total of 6 months possible of inputs, but typically only 2-3 will exist. I am trying to write formulas so that Alteryx will go back to the last possible value. Example, if month 6 doesn't have a value, go to month 5, if month 5 doesn't have a value, go to 4 and so on. Right now I have all the data joined together via a multi join tool. Here is the formula I have setup that keeps resulting in a NULL (or 0 if its a number field) when there are values in the month 1 fields. It is like the formula is stopping at the first IF statement and pulling in the NULL from month 5.

if isempty([Month 6 Field 1]) then [Month 5 Field 1] elseif isempty([Month 5 Field 1]) then [Month 4 Field 1] elseif isempty([Month 4 Field 1]) then [Month 3 Field 1] elseif isempty([Month 3 Field 1]) then [Month 2 Field 1] elseif isempty([Month 2 Field 1]) then [Month 1 Field 1] else [Day 1 Field 1]) endif 

I have about 30 fields, strings and doubles, I need to apply this formula to and every column is resulting in a blank or 0. 

1 REPLY 1
mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @StephanieReid ,

Can you please provide your workflow and some mock data so we can see what you're trying to achieve. It sounds like there will be a better way to do this than an epic IF statement.

M.

Bulien

Labels