Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

How to specifiy sheet name in server output tool

wonka1234
10 - Fireball

Hi,

I am trying to output a file to a location of the users choosing.

wonka1234_0-1646341960843.png

wonka1234_1-1646341971053.png

wonka1234_2-1646342015700.png

anyone have any tips on how to make this work or make this process better?

7 REPLIES 7
AngelosPachis
16 - Nebula

Hi @wonka1234 ,

Can you provide a screenshot of the action tool please?

wonka1234
10 - Fireball

wonka1234_1-1646342469269.png

AngelosPachis
16 - Nebula

@wonka1234 your filepath should end with :

filepath/filename.xlsx|||Sheetname

Can you click on the output tool and make sure that it's configured properly so a sheet is specified?

This is what I can see from my side, and I believe that's the way to configure the action tool so it only replaces the filepath but leave the filename intact

AngelosPachis_0-1646343275272.png

wonka1234
10 - Fireball

thanks, but then how do you configure this part in the server?

wonka1234_0-1646343857691.png

the user will have to do C:/Users/me/desktop/file.xlsx|||sheetname   ?

AngelosPachis
16 - Nebula

@wonka1234 If you want to allow your users the flexibility to change the filename and tab name then I presume yes. If you don't want those to change, you have to make it clear that they should only type something equivalent to "C:/Users/me/desktop/"

However, that filepath should be somewhere that your server has access to like a shared drive I believe. If you want to save the file on the desktop of your local machine then that's probably not possible as the server won't be able to access that filepath. If that's the case, your users can download the output instead after your workflow has finished running

wonka1234
10 - Fireball

thanks, but is there a way where a user wont have to define  a tab name? I just need a default tab name.. I want to make it as easy as possible.

AngelosPachis
16 - Nebula

@wonka1234 , of course. So all you have to do is to configure your action tool so you change the filepath (and the filename) if that's what you want.

So check the replace specific string checkbox and then in the text box below just add 

filepath/filename

That will create an xlsx with the given filename at that filepath with the tab name you have defined when the workflow was built. Does that kind of makes sense in a way?

Labels