Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

How to edit a TXT with empty spaces and make alteryx respect them?

Joker_Hazard
11 - Bolide

Good morning everyone 🙂

I'm trying to edit a TXT that have blank spaces, which MUST exist. The TXT file contains this type of structure:

Joker_Hazard_0-1624900370113.png

As you can see, each blank space represents a position(In the example Sel: 3, means 3 positions) and the file contains plenty of them. 

I tried separating each array of empty spaces with commas, to use it as delimiters in the input tool and it did work out. However, when I try to output this information, as a TXT, the array of empty spaces are not outputed.

Joker_Hazard_1-1624901073940.png

I know there is a workaround which would make me put in the blank spaces the number "0" and at the end substitute each "0" for an empty space. That works as well, but I have nearly 500 lines so that makes the work impossible to finish.

Is there any solution for this?

Thanks!

11 REPLIES 11
Hollingsworth
12 - Quasar
12 - Quasar

I do not find evidence that the spaces actually contain three positions. When I open your file in UltraEdit, I only see one position reflected as being selected.

Also, I could not tell from your post what your desired output is. Please reply with an example of the desired output.

Hollingsworth_0-1624903090331.png

John Hollingsworth
Clear Channel Outdoor
Joker_Hazard
11 - Bolide

Hollingsworth,

Here is another example:

Joker_Hazard_0-1624904919567.png
The desired OUTPUT would be like the attached notepad.

Basically with no commas and respecting the blank spaces.

thanks for the help

DawnDuong
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

hi @Joker_Hazard 

probably something like this 

HandleBlank.PNG

Joker_Hazard
11 - Bolide

Hi!

Still have problems with the output file. 

Still being outputed like this:

Joker_Hazard_0-1625060656846.png

The correct would be like the Desired output, attached to this reply.

Is it possible to solve this? I have nearly 500 lines that have way more empty spaces than this file, some with 10, 6 blank spaces.

Thanks!

DawnDuong
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

hi @Joker_Hazard 

it's very strange that when i compare the output is identical to the preview. I attached here the package file, probably something is not right with your output settings. 

Also, I think everyone in the community is trying to be helpful to each other as fellow community members. If you don't get the exact thing that you hope to produce, it is probably worth pondering why / what to fix instead of asking whether it can be done.

Cheers,
Dawn.

Compareoutput.PNG

Joker_Hazard
11 - Bolide

DawnDuong,

My intention was not to be rude, maybe I chose the wrong words. I apologize for that.

I will create another post trying to be more simplistic and give all details about the issue I'm having with the TXT file. 

For instance, I would be very happy if you could try to help me out there as well, your help is very appreciated 🙂 

Thank you 

DawnDuong
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

hi @Joker_Hazard 

No worry.

I'm just curious, isn't the output identical when you run the workflow I attached.

It is identical (as shown in the screenshot) when i ran on my laptop.

Cheers,
dawn.

Joker_Hazard
11 - Bolide

It's almost identical except for the end of line one.

Joker_Hazard_0-1625062700667.png

There is this "00000001" at the end which has almost 151 blank spaces before it.

The output file should respect all those 151 blank spaces

Thanks 🙂

DawnDuong
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

hi @Joker_Hazard 

Ah, the output has the hundreds of trailing spaces... see below. I revised the workflow so that it writes to .csv instead.

Trailing spaces.PNG

Labels