Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

How to create a workflow to send a personal Tableau Dashboard link to individual emails?

Jennyman130
7 - Meteor

Dear all,

We have created a dashboard on Tableau that we want to send a person link/URL with customized view of dashboard (filter on each employee's name) to the employees' emails. So each person can only view their own dashboard. Is it possible to create a workflow that that send the personalized URL to a list of individual emails please?

Many thanks.

5 REPLIES 5
LordNeilLord
15 - Aurora

Hey @Jennyman130

This is absolutely possible, I'm not sure how far you've got but I presume you already have a list with the URL and the email address of the person?

If so then you just need to add an email tool at the end of your workflow with a config something like this:

tableau email.PNG

Where the "to" field is the email address you wish to send to....and the "body" field is your link

Jennyman130
7 - Meteor

Thanks @LordNeilLord,

I have a list of email address, but only one Dashboard URL which I got when I published the Dashboard on Tableau Server that has no filter applied yet for each employee's name. I don't know how to get a personal URL for each individual for customized Dashboard view, is this something I do within Tableau or Alteryx?

Jennyman130
7 - Meteor

Let's say if I have 50 employees that require a customized view, do I need to publish it 50 times manually on tableau server to get the personal URL and then follow what you mentioned above to distribute through an email?

LordNeilLord
15 - Aurora

Hey @Jennyman130

Most of this will depend on how your Tableau dashboard is setup but usually you have a filter with the users name (which they can choose) but you can make use of this using the URL parameters to change the URL for example:

http://tabserver/views/Sales/Q2?:person=Jane%20Doe

There is loads of info about this on the Tableau forums

Neil

Jennyman130
7 - Meteor

Ahicc, so this is something to do within Tableau, thanks a lot @LordNeilLord!!

Labels