Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

How to change the data type of ONLY certain cells?

8 - Asteroid

I have an input file with a column that contains dates in a few rows and other stuff in other rows. I need to ensure all cells that contain a date to be in Date data type.

I've checked metadata in the results window. The column currently uses the V_WString data type. Perhaps that is because this column is mixed with non-date entries. I need to preserve the layout and change ONLY the cells that include dates to Date date type. The Select tool only allows me to change an entire column to a chosen data type. What can I do to achieve my goal?

Example:

I've created an example below. Supposed that this column is Column 2. How do I change the data type of Today's Date cell (24-Dec-21) and Birth Date (24-Sep-99) to Date data type?

Column 1Column 2
CodeE24122021
Today's Date24-Dec-21
First NameGeorge
Last NameLi
Birth Date24-Sep-99
3 REPLIES 3
Qiu
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@45179902 

I am sorry but I believe that Alteryx does NOT allow mixed data type in one column.

cmcclellan
13 - Pulsar

Alteryx doesn't work like Excel ... which is a good thing!

In Alteryx, a field (ie column) as a single datatype.

You have 2 choices here 

1) change Column 2 to Date (and lose all the other field values)

OR (this is your best option....)

2) Use the Transpose tool to create 5 columns and then set your 2 date fields to a Date datatype.

binuacs
20 - Arcturus

@45179902  I agree with @Qiu and @cmcclellan . If you want to only convert the string date into date format use the DateTimeParseTool as @cmcclellan suggested

Spoiler
binuacs_0-1640330467400.png

Labels