Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

How to Ignore Certain Rows of Excel Input File

shaheer
8 - Asteroid

I have data in a file that looks similar to this:

Company NameApple   
Total Employees100   
Compensation    

NameAgeHoursManager1Manager2
James2040AnnieJack
John2540KuldeepJack
Amy2240ArthurAlbert

I want to use the select tool to grab the following columns: Name, Hours, Manager1. However, when I try to use the tool, these headers do not show up and instead I see F1, F2, F3 etc. I want to ignore rows 1-5 and only use data from row 6 onwards, 

I have tried using the "Start Data Import on Line 6" feature in the Input Data tool, but that only worked for a smaller sample size I was testing with. It disappears when I use the larger file I want to work with. 

shaheer_1-1664894572013.png

22 REPLIES 22
binuacs
20 - Arcturus

@shaheer The above workflows should work in this version. Please let us know your progress.

shaheer
8 - Asteroid

@binuacs @Emmanuel_G I've managed to work a way around the issue to get what I need, this is only the sample size but I get the desired result as needed and I am able to skip the rows while using the dynamic rename tool to change the header values. I will be testing with the actual file size momentarily. Thanks for your guys' help btw!

shaheer_0-1664903895067.png

juan1
7 - Meteor

@shaheer The solutions above are the optimal way, you can also do select records and a dynamic rename if for some reason you are not able to do it. 

Select Records: 6-

Dynamic Rename: "Take field names from first row of data"

juan1_0-1664908452563.png

Hope this helps!

Labels