Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

How do I input a default value for blank fields?

hellyars
13 - Pulsar

I have 4 XML files I parse, union and output to a Tableau TDE file.

The union output has 3 years of data.   But, one of the XML files only has data for 2 of the 3 years.   So, when parsed that year is not a available which means in the union output there are no rows for that year for data from that XML-- then in Tableau it shows up as a blank.   How can I automatically generate rows for that missing year and default to "0"?

I tried imputation - but since the year does not exist for that XML then it can't assign a "0"

Thanks

6 REPLIES 6
derekbelyea
12 - Quasar
Data cleansing tool should solve that.
hellyars
13 - Pulsar

Sorry, I don't understand how.

The problem is that some of the XML inputs for a given entry have all the years or just one of the years.  When I parse it, the rows for that given year are missing - because they don't exist.  So, how can I add them back in -- given that some entries might have them and other might not (and there is no pattern)?

hellyars
13 - Pulsar

I should note, that for the ones that don't have a year -- the actual source XML skips that year (as in its not present).

rahul1011
8 - Asteroid

you can use the generate rows tool to generate rows for years which are missing.

derekbelyea
12 - Quasar

This example should point you to a solution.  The example below and attached has monthly data for four divisions (A, B, C, D) over four years (2010, 2011, 2012, 2013).

However there are no records for Division D in 2010 and for Division B in 2013.

2018-02-10_00003.png

Labels