Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

How do I convert text file with report headers on multiple pages into the right format

BC_O
6 - Meteoroid

I'm a recent new user of the tool. I tried to input a text file (read it as fixed width text file) to get it into a format like excel where I can use Alteryx to vlookup (join tool) with another input table. The text file has the report headers and dotted lines on multiple pages, I don't know how to get rid of these so that I can get the below output to run further analysis.

ItemDescriptionClassUOMSequenceQuantityUsage Value
00-30430ZLEMO CONNECTORCEA64300
000-0450-23Motor, Blower, Maxi-Tube IIBEA1008245338532.18

7 REPLIES 7
Maskell_Rascal
13 - Pulsar

@BC_O 

Can you provide the actual .txt file? It would make it a lot easier to trouble shoot and find a solution if we know the structure of the data going in. 

Thanks!

Phil 

Watermark
12 - Quasar
12 - Quasar

This seems like you need a number of steps. Bring it in as a text, all the info in one field, skip the first number of lines, then start to parse or regex it out. Could need a couple of steps to do it, but like the last poster commented. If you post the actual sheet, there are people here who could split it out. 

BC_O
6 - Meteoroid

This is the actual text file. Because of data confidentiality, I switched to another smaller text file in similar format and replaced some sensitive data. 

BC_O
6 - Meteoroid

Thank you, @Maskell_Rascal . I attached the actual text file below. 

BC_O
6 - Meteoroid

Thank you @Watermark. I attached the actual text file as below. In the meantime, I will try to read up on parse or regex. 

Maskell_Rascal
13 - Pulsar

Hi @BC_O 

Thank you for providing a sample file. Try the attached packaged workflow. I created a FLAT file template that splits you data into fixed width columns. From there, there was a lot of filtering and parsing that needed to be done to get the data into a usable format, but the final output looks like this:

Maskell_Rascal_0-1661793271749.png

Hope this helps.

Cheers!

Phil

BC_O
6 - Meteoroid

@Maskell_Rascal  Thank you, it works perfectly. I just need to go through it to understand the flow.

Labels