Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

How can I identify/highlight rows with values closest to zero?

yxt
7 - Meteor

Referencing  list of numbers below , I would like to highlight the 9 values closest to 0. If done manually, it would be -5,1,2,3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. What formula can I use as a row rule in basic table? I'm using basic table to highlight the background color for visibility. Thanks

7 REPLIES 7
LordNeilLord
15 - Aurora

Hey @yxt 

I think you would need to do some pre-work before the basic table to create a flag to say these are the rows you want to highlight

MichalM
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@LordNeilLord is correct.

I'd built something like the attached to identify the values I'm interested in and create a column with a flag. You can then use the flag to define the column rule

highlight-values.png

table-rule.pngcolumn-rule.png

danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi @yxt 

I have a few questions

Can you explain what you mean by "closest to zero"?  In your sample data -500 is not closer to 0 than any of the positive values, yet you include it in your list to flag.

Do you always require 9 values to be highlighted?

What if you have more than 9 negative numbers?

Dan

yxt
7 - Meteor

@danilangthanks for questioning. I've incorrectly phrased my question. Let me edit my post.

the 9 closes value to 0 would be -5, 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8

yxt
7 - Meteor

Hi @MichalM . I've been pointed out that my post was incorrect. Otherwise it would be the perfect solution.

Corrected my post to mean : If done manually, it would be -5,1,2,3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8.

MichalM
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

In this case you only need to add one extra step to calculate an absolute difference between the 0 and value and sort these values by the difference. Updated sample attached

diff-zero.png

ABS(0-[Values])

yxt
7 - Meteor

this was such a straightforward solution. thank you so much!

Labels