Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Have a gallery app which does not prompt for an excel sheet name

Bob_Blackey
11 - Bolide

Hi All,

I have an app that reads in two Excel xlsm files does some Alteryx magic and overwrites a sheet (Drop) in another.

The files are of a standard format so the two input files will have a sheet named "Data", and the output file I'm writing to has a sheet "ComboData".

My app prompts the user for the file name and I used:

File Browse Tool :Arbitrary FIle Spec *.xlsm 

Action tool: Update Value  - for the  File value.

In replace a specific string I replace the entire file name (leaving the |'Data' )

This works fine when I run it locally - no prompt for a sheet name on input or output, but when published to the gallery it prompts for table/sheet name.

Is there a way to have it not prompt for a sheet name in the gallery?

Cheers,

Bob

13 REPLIES 13
delf
5 - Atom

Hello, any update regarding this issue?

Jo-B
8 - Asteroid

This is still an issue on the version 2021.2. 

I would appreciate here a fix of this! Thx.

npariso
10 - Fireball

Is this fixed yet? Seems like I am still having this issue.

william-lim
7 - Meteor

I had the same issue: I wanted to build an app (published to the Gallery) that would let users choose an Excel file, but without prompting them for a sheet name.

I wasn't able to find a way to do that using the File Browse tool, however the best was I found was to use the Tree tool. When published on the Server, the interface only asks for the file to use, not the sheet.

The main drawback of this method is that the directory needs to be hard-coded within the Tree tool. That means that the user can select any file within the specified directory, as well as any files in any subfolder of the directory, but not browse to other directories. In other words, they would not be able to browse to the parent folder of the specified directory for example, or any of its siblings, only the child files/folders. Perhaps one way to get around this is by specifiying folders that are high up in the hierarchy, in which case the Tree tool interface would work exactly the same way as a File Browse tool. 

Hope this can be of help to some of you out there!

William Lim

The Information Lab France

Labels