Announcement | We'll be doing maintenance between 2-3 hours, which may impact your experience. Thanks for your patience as we work on improving the community!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Formula to identify alphanumeric zip codes

Idyllic_Data_Geek
8 - Asteroid

Hello All,

I have a very simple req and I;m relatively new to Alteryx so seeking your help. I have a requirement where I want to identify the zip codes in the data set that are less than 5 char, = 0 or are alpha numeric. I have solved the first 2 and need your help create a formula that will help me identify whenever the zip code has any alphabet... I played around with few regex calcs but I was not able to get the result I needed. Thanks in advance for your help

10 REPLIES 10
mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @Idyllic_Data_Geek ,

can you provide a sample data set so we can help you?

Thanks,

M.

Bulien

Maskell_Rascal
13 - Pulsar

Hi @Idyllic_Data_Geek 

You can use a regex formula to find alpha numeric matches. The below formula looks for any letter characters and returns the number of matches it finds for the given field. 

REGEX_CountMatches([Zip Code], '[A-Za-z]')

You can write an IF statement to handle the total expression like the below:

IF REGEX_CountMatches([Zip Code], '[A-Za-z]')>0 
THEN 'AlphaNumeric' 
ELSEIF Length([Zip Code])<5 
THEN 'Short' 
ELSE 'Valid' 
ENDIF

Maskell_Rascal_0-1623421233072.png

Cheers!

Phil

Idyllic_Data_Geek
8 - Asteroid

Hi Phil...Why are we doing regex_countmatches and not just the regex_match? I earlier had the below which obviously did not solver my issue

if REGEX_Match([New Zip], ".*a-z.*") then '1'

else

'0'

endif

Maskell_Rascal
13 - Pulsar

@Idyllic_Data_Geek  It has to do with what the formula is attempting to accomplish. REGEX_Match is trying to match the exact pattern provided, so if the pattern doesn't match then everything fails. This means that you can't look for a random Alpha character. REGEX_CountMatches finds every available match within a string, so is more flexible for your scenario. 

Maskell_Rascal
13 - Pulsar

I should also point out that your initial REGEX_Match formula would work if you add brackets to the a-z part of it. 

if REGEX_Match([Zip Code], ".*[a-z].*") then '1'

else

'0'

endif

Idyllic_Data_Geek
8 - Asteroid

Thank you. Can I ask you another question here? I need to create a new formula that will include the text from Input file name. For e:g if the file name is 2021 NY ABCDE EGHDH Working File then field name = 'NY jason'. The text jason will always be the same...and state code will change depending on the file being used to input

cgoodman3
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

You can just write 

REGEX_MATCH([Zip Code],”.*[a-z].*”)

in the formula and if you set the data type to Bool it will either evaluate to True or False which makes for cleaner code, or put it in a filter tool and the matches will come out the true anchor which will likely save you a tool downstream.

Chris
Check out my collaboration with fellow ACE Joshua Burkhow at AlterTricks.com
cgoodman3
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

If the state is always two letters with a space either side, you can use regex to parse out this pattern to get the state which can then be used to create the new field:

\s(\w{2})\s

where

\w matches any word character
{2} matches the previous token exactly 2 times
\s is any white space
Chris
Check out my collaboration with fellow ACE Joshua Burkhow at AlterTricks.com
Idyllic_Data_Geek
8 - Asteroid

Thank you...How do I bring in the input file name into the regex function? The input file name will be dynamic

Labels