Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Formatting Disparity (Formula Window Result vs Output Window)

LeroyMagee
6 - Meteoroid

Hello all.  Does anyone have any idea why the output pane would show formatting that does not match the format correctly shown in the formula results window?  (see graphic)

Thank you,

Leroy

6 REPLIES 6
JosephSerpis
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @LeroyMagee are the results correct in the output file? Also does the result look different if you click on green anchor of the formula tool on the right hand side?

LeroyMagee
6 - Meteoroid

Hi Joseph.  Yes, the results are correct. However, the formatting in the output pane isn't what's shown in the formula window. (i.e.: formula window indicates $ 1,000,000.00  but the output window shows 1000000.00 or $ 1000000.00 if I click the green anchor on the formula tool)

JosephSerpis
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Thank for confirming @LeroyMagee so in your screenshot the left anchor was selected on the formula tool this is the Input Stream coming into the formula tool and in the results windows it says Formula Input.

Format Issue.jpg

Therefore your formulas adding $ has not been added if you select the anchor on the right it should say Formula Output and show the correct results. I tend to use a browse after my tools as they give the correct output and avoid confusion with partial results on tools.

LeroyMagee
6 - Meteoroid

Hi Joseph.  Yes, the output stream just adds the dollar sign (which is good) but, I want the commas as well.

JosephSerpis
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @LeroyMagee you need to slightly adjust your formula rather use ToNumber and ToString separately  you need to combine. The syntax would be '$'+" "+ToString(tonumber([Total Funded 2019]),2,1). I've attached a workflow which replicates your issue and then also solves it. 

LeroyMagee
6 - Meteoroid

Thank you Joseph.  Unfortunately, that alone  did not remedy the problem.   However, I did find a partial remedy here:

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/Formatting-number-with-commas-and-deci...

Specifically, I used your formula and built a second one using:   regex_replace([Total Funded 2019],"\d{1,3}(?=(\d{3})+(?!\d))","$&,") 

After running the flow, it returned the exact formatting that I was looking for.

Thank you again for your assistance.

Labels