Important Community update: The process for changing your account details was updated on June 25th. Learn how this impacts your Community experience and the actions we suggest you take to secure your account here.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Find Nearest tool in 2023.2

patrick_mcauliffe
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

What happened to free form number entry of nearest points and max distance in the Find Nearest tool?

Is there a new way to enter your own number without using a preset that I'm just missing?

9 REPLIES 9
alexnajm
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

You aren’t missing something - a few of us noticed this unfortunate change with 2023.2 :(

patrick_mcauliffe
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

@alexnajm  that's utterly absurd.  Thanks for the info. I made my own version to subvert their changes.

OllieClarke
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hey @patrick_mcauliffe,

You can still do this in 2023.2, although it's less visible.

If you turn on display XML in your user settings:

image.png

Then you can edit the xml of the Find Nearest tool. You can write whatever number you want in the MaxDistanceValue=

image.png

This will then be reflected in the normal tool properties:

image.png

Hope that helps,

Ollie

alexnajm
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Other threads where this became prevalent:

Cool workaround @OllieClarke - hoping they'll fix it though in a patch or for 24.1!

patrick_mcauliffe
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

Thanks @OllieClarke. Yeah, editing the XML is an obvious solution.  But it adds too many steps at scale.  That's sorta the point of having these tools built out in a quick and easy to use fashion - to avoid extra steps, like coding something manually.

patrick_mcauliffe
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

Thanks @alexnajm.  It appears that I either don't know how to use the search function anymore or they made similar improvements in the way that functions too.

alexnajm
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Funny @patrick_mcauliffe! Just wanted to show you are definitely not alone in this annoyance.

patrick_mcauliffe
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

I appreciate it.  Gave me something to go upvote.

OllieClarke
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

@patrick_mcauliffe oh for sure, I absolutely agree. Was sharing the workaround if others needed it for one off pieces for now though

Labels