Join the Alteryx Community’s Maveryx Summer Cup event! Compete, network with others, and earn your gold through a series of challenges from July 24th to August 11th. Learn more about the event here.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Fill in values based on previous or next non-null values

SomaSrikanth
6 - Meteoroid

Hello friends! 
I have weekly prices for various products. However, the data is incomplete and there are prices missing for many weeks.
I want to replace the null price records with a value that is 
    1. nearest previous price if one exists
    2. nearest next price if no previous price exists

I am attaching sample input and how I expect the output to look like. 
Is there an easy way to achieve this? I am not familiar with macros. 

9 REPLIES 9
binuacs
20 - Arcturus

@SomaSrikanth One way of doing this is with the batch macro. Your expected result shows only 842 records but the input file has 4099 records

binuacs_0-1681456318198.png

Yoshiro_Fujimori
15 - Aurora

@SomaSrikanth ,

As your data is too big as a sample, I made a new one.

My idea is to fill the data from Top-down and then Bottom-up.

Workflow

Yoshiro_Fujimori_0-1681457562613.png

Output

Yoshiro_Fujimori_1-1681457579411.png

I hope this works for your case.

SomaSrikanth
6 - Meteoroid

Yoshira_Fujimori, Thanks. I used the Muti-row formula and nested if statements but it works if the data is missing in 2 or 3 or 4 or 5 rows. But in my data, sometimes i have 20-30 missing values and it is a lot of work. 

SomaSrikanth
6 - Meteoroid

Thanks @binuacs. Sorry for the difference in input and output records. I uploaded a wrong input file (before truncating some products).  
Looks like I need a later version of Alteryx to see your exact workflow.

Thank you. 

binuacs
20 - Arcturus

@SomaSrikanth open the .yxmd file in a notepad++ and update the version number ( will be in the right top corner) with your alteryx version , the. The workflow will open 

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Desktop-Discussions/How-to-Open-an-Alteryx-Package...

SomaSrikanth
6 - Meteoroid

@binuacs Thanks a lot for your efforts. I tried your suggestion. I was getting an error message "There was an error opening "xxx.yxmd": Input string was not in correct format." I chaned my Alteryx version from 2022.1.1.40869 to just 2022.1 and it kind of took care of that error message but I still have issues configuring the macro. (Please refer to the 1st image). I created a path for macros and put your macro in the path and brought in the macro into the workflow (image 2) but I am not sure how to configure it.  I would be helpful if you can show me with a screenshot, if possible.

Thank you so much!

SomaSrikanth_0-1681486918616.png

SomaSrikanth_1-1681487498011.png

binuacs
20 - Arcturus

@SomaSrikanth I will send you the workflow and macro separately 

binuacs
20 - Arcturus

@SomaSrikanth I thought i didnt send the macro and the workflow, seems to be I sent all the files to you. To resolve the issue save the macro in your folder then in the workflow canvas right click - Insert- Macro - select the macro and connect to the field. Let me know if you see any issues 

binuacs_1-1681504029240.pngbinuacs_2-1681504053543.png

SomaSrikanth
6 - Meteoroid

Actually, it worked when I used the packaged workbook. It did not work when I tried to use individual files for workflow and macro. 
Thanks @binuacs . I will spend some time understanding this and update. 

Labels