Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

File Size Limits in the Alteryx gallery

fimler
8 - Asteroid

I have an analytic app in our Alteryx Gallery and it occasionally fails with the following error message:

There was an unknown error executing the application. The engine reported status Error 

One of the things that as been suggested to me is that the app is failing because I am exceeding a file size limitation.  Can anyone tell me if there are file size limitations, both on the input and out side of things with apps in the gallery?

5 REPLIES 5
Maskell_Rascal
13 - Pulsar

Hey @fimler - the file size limitation on a private gallery is 2.1GB(Int32), but you could also be struggling with a timeout. The upload of files to gallery is limited by time as well as file size. 

mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @fimler ,

There is a 100MB file size limit on the Alteryx PUBLIC Gallery, which the gallery hosted by Alteryx and not for company use.

I assume you are using your company's gallery which has no actual file limit.

However, you may encounter a problem if you are trying to run data on a server that does not meet the minimum required specification to run. for example, if you are running a very large file or database connection and you are running on a low amount of RAM, say 8GB, then it will start to page the data to the hard disk of the server. If the server storage space is insufficient to host the data, albeit temporarily, then you will get an error.

I would start by checking that your server is capable of handling the processing of your data.

M.

Bulien

mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

That's a good point, @Maskell_Rascal , the timeout might be causing the problem. You can adjust the timeout period in the server config window.

M.

Bulien

fimler
8 - Asteroid

@Maskell_Rascal  - Can you be clear as to what you mean by "the upload of files to the gallery".  The reason I ask is that Im not uploading any files.  The app runs in the gallery and has 2 outputs that are presented to the user.  The first is PCXML that is just the first 100 rows - to give the user a "preview" of the result dataset.  The 2nd output is XLSX and its the full dataset.  When the app fails, it appears from the server logs that the outputs are being created but instead of those results being displayed to the user, the following is is displayed "There was an unknown error executing the application. The engine reported status Error".

Maskell_Rascal
13 - Pulsar

@fimler - upload was referring to having the user upload a file for input into your app. If that's not how your app is designed then the problem lies elsewhere. 

I took a look at the error message again, and typically this error means that something on your network is causing the error. I'd recommend enabling Show All Macro Messages in the Runtime configurations. It may help you see exactly what is causing the issue. 

Maskell_Rascal_0-1625170709445.png

Labels