Join the Alteryx Community’s Maveryx Summer Cup event! Compete, network with others, and earn your gold through a series of challenges from July 24th to August 11th. Learn more about the event here.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Existing Excels Renamed based on Output

AmandaL1
6 - Meteoroid

I have 800 existing excel files that I was hoping I could have Alteryx rename based on a column in an Output file.   Any suggestions.

6 REPLIES 6
Luke_C
17 - Castor

Hi @AmandaL1 

Maybe this thread will get you in the right direction, similar use case but for PDFs

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/Rename-300-PDF-files-within-Directory/...

AmandaL1
6 - Meteoroid

Thank you.

AmandaL1
6 - Meteoroid

I am a newbie.  I have a column that pulls in the file name from the original files and a column that contains the data that I want each file to be renamed.  Below is the formula but I am getting a Parse error at char (75).  Malformed function call (expression #1).  Any suggestions.

getword(Replace([FileName], ".xlsx", "") +", "+

getword([Account],"")+".XLSX"

AmandaL1
6 - Meteoroid

I am a newbie.  I have a column that pulls in the file name from the original files and a column that contains the data that I want each file to be renamed.  Below is the formula but I am getting a Parse error at char (75).  Malformed function call (expression #1).  Any suggestions.

getword(Replace([FileName], ".xlsx", "") +", "+

getword([Account],"")+".XLSX"

binuacs
20 - Arcturus

@AmandaL1 the getword function syntax is not correct 

below is the formula from @Luke_C  post, seems to be you are missing the CountWords() function in your formula

getword(Replace([FileName], ".pdf", ""),CountWords([FileName])-1) + ", " +

replace([FileName]," " + getword(Replace([FileName], ".pdf", ""),CountWords([FileName])-1),"")

binuacs_0-1647970187717.png

Luke_C
17 - Castor

Hi @AmandaL1 

It would be helpful if you provide some sample data. The formulas in the solution I linked to are specific to that use case - you should be able to use the general solution as a guide to your fact pattern.

Labels