Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Existing Excels Renamed based on Output

AmandaL1
6 - Meteoroid

I have 800 existing excel files that I was hoping I could have Alteryx rename based on a column in an Output file.   Any suggestions.

6 REPLIES 6
Luke_C
17 - Castor

Hi @AmandaL1 

Maybe this thread will get you in the right direction, similar use case but for PDFs

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/Rename-300-PDF-files-within-Directory/...

AmandaL1
6 - Meteoroid

Thank you.

AmandaL1
6 - Meteoroid

I am a newbie.  I have a column that pulls in the file name from the original files and a column that contains the data that I want each file to be renamed.  Below is the formula but I am getting a Parse error at char (75).  Malformed function call (expression #1).  Any suggestions.

getword(Replace([FileName], ".xlsx", "") +", "+

getword([Account],"")+".XLSX"

AmandaL1
6 - Meteoroid

I am a newbie.  I have a column that pulls in the file name from the original files and a column that contains the data that I want each file to be renamed.  Below is the formula but I am getting a Parse error at char (75).  Malformed function call (expression #1).  Any suggestions.

getword(Replace([FileName], ".xlsx", "") +", "+

getword([Account],"")+".XLSX"

binuacs
20 - Arcturus

@AmandaL1 the getword function syntax is not correct 

below is the formula from @Luke_C  post, seems to be you are missing the CountWords() function in your formula

getword(Replace([FileName], ".pdf", ""),CountWords([FileName])-1) + ", " +

replace([FileName]," " + getword(Replace([FileName], ".pdf", ""),CountWords([FileName])-1),"")

binuacs_0-1647970187717.png

Luke_C
17 - Castor

Hi @AmandaL1 

It would be helpful if you provide some sample data. The formulas in the solution I linked to are specific to that use case - you should be able to use the general solution as a guide to your fact pattern.

Labels