Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Error Opening File - Output Tool

KamenRider
10 - Fireball

Guys,

I am having difficulty in figuring out how to fix this error. The excel files are close and yet I am receiving error, "ERROR OPENING FILE.... "

My formula tool configuration are.:

1. Sheetname - '01-31-2021'

2  Filename - 'Recon Tracker - ' + [Sheetname]

3. Filepath - FileGetDir("......... ) + [Filename] + ".xls |||" + [Filename] 

My output file configuration is

File Format - .xlsx

Output Option - Overwrite Sheet or Range

Tick the - Take File / Table Name from Field

Field Containing Filename or Part of the File Name - "Filepath (untick - Keep field in the output)

I hope you can help me find the solution on this matter as I can't really see what I am missing.

Thanks, 

Mar

10 REPLIES 10
Luke_C
17 - Castor

In your filepath try putting xlsx instead of just xls.

KamenRider
10 - Fireball

Thanks @Luke_C . I've change the extension to xlsx but same error receive. any more ideas?

Hoping to hear from you.

Thanks,

Mar

danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi @KamenRider 

Can you post a screen shot of the entire error message?  

Are you writing to this file more than once in the same workflow?

Dan

KamenRider
10 - Fireball

Hi All and @Luke_C

I noticed that every time I added a date, it gives me an "Error Opening File". I'm not sure but is there any reason? Please provide me a sample formula using  this name "Associated Tracker" + Date".

Please assist.

Thanks,

Mar

danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

@KamenRider 

Your formula's look correct. When I create a file with this output name "Recon Tracker - 01-31-2021.xls|||Recon Tracker - 01-31-2021" it works fine. What is the complete text of the error message.  Please post a screen shot, a  

Also post an image of your final FilePath value

Dan

KamenRider
10 - Fireball

I also notice that every time I add a space or underscore "_" to Recon Tracker to look like this Recon Tracker_01-31-2021" ("Recon Tracker_" + [SheetName] + ".xlsx|||Sheet1"), this gives me an error file opening but when I remove the special character which will look like this "Recon Tracker01-31-2021", it generated an output file. I can't understand what do I miss. Please help.

Thanks,

Mar

danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

@KamenRider 

All of these things are working for me.  Please post a sample workflow that demonstrates the problem

Dan

KamenRider
10 - Fireball

Hi @danilang 

Thanks for the reply, here's the screenshots that might help.

Error Opening File.JPG

Inkederror opening a file2_LI.jpg

Please advise.

Mar

danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

@KamenRider 

You error message should be in this form

Error opening file <Folder path>: Error Message 

The Error Message is missing from your screen shot.  The best way to capture it is to run the workflow and copy the Error line from the results window.

Another thing:  you might be hitting the max path length (260 chars including full directory path and filename with extension) .  That would explain why you can't add any other character to the path.

Dan 

Labels