Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Email tool error

JohnLight
8 - Asteroid

I'm getting this error when trying to use the email tool: "Error: Email (1): Record#1: Func 'curl_easy_perform' failed, ret = 28, desc = Timeout was reached"

I'm using the SMTP server: smtp.gmail.com, port 587, Encryption: SSL/TLS. Any help to fix this error would be appreciated, thanks.

3 REPLIES 3
Hammad_Rashid
11 - Bolide

The error you're encountering, "Func 'curl_easy_perform' failed, ret = 28, desc = Timeout was reached," typically indicates that the Alteryx Email tool is having trouble connecting to the SMTP server within the specified timeout period. This can happen for various reasons, including network issues, server unavailability, or incorrect configuration.

Here are some steps you can take to troubleshoot and potentially resolve the issue:

1. Network Connection:

• Check your network connection to ensure you have internet access.
    • Confirm that there are no firewall or security settings blocking the connection to the SMTP server.
  2. SMTP Server Availability:

• Verify that the SMTP server smtp.gmail.com is currently reachable and operational.
    • Confirm that there are no temporary outages or maintenance periods for the Gmail SMTP server.
  3. Timeout Configuration:

• Increase the timeout duration in the Email tool configuration. The default timeout might be too short for the network conditions.
    • In the Email tool, navigate to the Advanced Options section and look for a setting related to the timeout period. Increase it to a higher value.
  4. SSL/TLS Configuration:

• Double-check the Encryption setting in the Email tool. You mentioned using SSL/TLS. Ensure that this setting aligns with the requirements of the SMTP server.
    • For Gmail, using STARTTLS with port 587 is a common configuration. Try using STARTTLS instead of SSL/TLS.
  5. SMTP Server Credentials:

• Ensure that the username and password credentials for the SMTP server are correctly entered in the Email tool configuration.
    • Confirm that the account you're using has the necessary permissions to send emails through the specified SMTP server.
  6. Proxy Settings:

• If your network uses a proxy, ensure that the proxy settings are configured correctly in Alteryx.
    • In Alteryx, go to Options > Advanced Options > Edit User Settings > Edit User Settings (again) > Workflow > Proxy.
  7. Alteryx Version:

• Ensure that you are using the latest version of Alteryx. Check for updates and install any available updates.
  8. Gmail Account Security:

• If you're using a Gmail account, make sure that "Allow less secure apps" is turned on for the account. You can find this setting in your Google Account settings.

After making adjustments based on the above suggestions, try running your workflow again.

artur_chybowski
5 - Atom

Hello,

Could you please assist on how to find those advanced options for Email tool? I can't find it anywhere and I am trying to increase timeout period. 

Thank you! 

I am using Alteryx 2023.1 version. 

ryancallihan
5 - Atom

There is no advanced option. I suspect the user above used chatgpt to generate the answer and didn't verify for accuracy.

Labels