Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Dynamic calgary input?

tmonroe
7 - Meteor

I want to be able to do a calgary join, against several calgary indexes.  I would hope that I could do something like a dynamic input, as we keep 4 months worth of indexes that my input would only match one of the indexes.  I cant make them hard coded as a new month comes on, the old index falls off.  It looks like the wildcards doesn't work in calgary either (different path, but same name).

Any suggestions?

4 REPLIES 4
MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

If you use a directory tool, you can create a macro that uses the directory tool input to update the Calgary join.  If you want to check multiple Calgary files, you can convert the macro to being a batch macro. 

cheers,

mark

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
tmonroe
7 - Meteor

I have made several macros, but the batch macros really throw me off.  I have one input file that the end user will point to, the control paramater will be a listing of fullpath of all calgary indexes available.  The action the control panel is to update the path of the index.  The input file will be joined by the id.  If not found it will go to the next index until all available have been exhausted.  I have not used any of the dropdowns in the group_by tab and selected FullPath under questions.  I think I am missing something here?  My error is "Missing value Name".

tmonroe_0-1589742536124.png

jarrod
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

@tmonroe, do all of the calgary files have the same field you are joining to the incoming dataset? or does that change with each calgary database. if it changes, you might need a second control parameter (you can bring the value in another field with the list of calgary databases). The second control param can switch the target field to join on using an action tool. does that make sense? without the actual database, it's hard to demonstrate.

tmonroe
7 - Meteor

They are all actually the same fields.  Actually I just got it working, by starting over.  For some reason I could not get the calgary to accept the update value.  Then I started over from scratch and now it works.  

Thank for the help.

Labels