Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Dynamic Field Add Macro - Given Conditions

marcmalitz
5 - Atom

Hi all,

I find myself constantly parsing through raw data and adding in the same fields to adhere to a format time and time again. Initially, I had thought it'd be easy enough to create a macro that'll add these fields regardless of the underlying data's fields (i.e. if I want to add a "Customer" field since that's recognized by the system but there's already a "Customer" field within the raw data), but to take it a step further, would anyone know how to add fields if certain conditions are met? I'll lay out the base scenario I'm running into and how I imagine the macro would act:

Raw data source contains the following fields [I'll call this "raw fields"]:

Invoice Number

Customer ID

Parent Customer

Quantity

Amount

Revenue

Required fields that system needs to upload [I'll call this "required fields"]:

1: Company ID

2: Customer ID

3: Amount

4: Quantity

How macro would act:

IF any of [raw fields] equals any of [required fields] THEN keep field(s) as they are ELSE add any missing [required field]s with a formula node ENDIF

Please feel free to reply with any questions and thanks in advance, community!

2 REPLIES 2
SPetrie
12 - Quasar

Im sure a macro could be created, but you may be able to get away with a union and text input tool.

If you have the default fields in a text input with no rows, you can union that to the workflow and any of the default fields will get added.

SPetrie_0-1660838473221.png

SPetrie_1-1660838510901.png

SPetrie_2-1660838549461.png

SPetrie
12 - Quasar

Just to take it a step further and tackle the original ask of doing it via macro where it decides what fields to add, I came up with this.

SPetrie_1-1660881072624.png

This version will compare the actual fields with the expected ones and only union the missing fields. 

I still believe that a simple union will do the trick, but there isnt anything stopping us from putting that into a macro either.

SPetrie_2-1660881173622.png

Both macros will give the same result of adding the missing fields.

SPetrie_4-1660881249539.png

SPetrie_3-1660881217849.png

SPetrie_5-1660881290850.png

Labels