Join the Alteryx Community’s Maveryx Summer Cup event! Compete, network with others, and earn your gold through a series of challenges from July 24th to August 11th. Learn more about the event here.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Detour in an Analytic App using On Success in the Interface Designer

NeilFisk
9 - Comet

Hello Community,

I am looking to create an Analytic App that steps through pieces of a process.  At one point, I want the user to select a certain path in the workflow by using the Detour tool.  However, at the detour, if the detour is True, it should launch the next analytic app but if it is false, it would open a different analytic app.  At the end of each of these analytic apps, the user should then return to the detour end.  This isn't a set of workflows I could upload here so I am looking for conceptually how to do this.

Thanks,

Neil

2 REPLIES 2
danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi @NeilFisk 

Analytic apps aren't set up to run this way.  The chaining mechanism doesn't have any conditional logic in it and the Detour tool will error if the end(or output) isn't within the same workflow.   As I see it, you have three options.

1.  Copy and paste both of the child workflows into the main workflow and connect the first one to the R branch of the Detour and the other to the L branch.   Take the output and connect them to the 2 branches of the End Detour tool.

2.  Similar to 1 but convert each workflow into a standard macro with an input and output.  Within your first workflow connect one to the R branch of the Detour and the other to the L branch.   This will clean up your main workflow while maintaining the same functionality

3.  Use 2 of List Runner macros from the CReWs Macro pack.  Connect these to the branches of the detour tool and have each of them execute one workflow.  Since the output of the List Runner is the messages normally displayed in the Results window,  as opposed to the actual data, you'll need to have each of the child workflow write to the temporary file which can be read by a dynamic input after the end detour.

Dan   

NeilFisk
9 - Comet

Hello Dan,

I ended up using an alternate approach by incorporating a Condition Tool followed by two Action Tools to Enable or Disable a Container.  Understanding how this can work makes for very powerful Analytic Apps.

Regards,

Neil

Labels