Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Designer download tool question

StephenT
8 - Asteroid

Hi all

I am looking to import data from Microsoft using a URL and have seen references o th 'download tool. Does the ate from the URL have to be output to  a file (.XLSX or CSV ?) then read by the workflow ? Or can the data be used directly from the URL ?

Thanks in advance for any guidance given and apologies for the vagueness of my question

2 REPLIES 2
oneillp111
9 - Comet

do you mean, use the download tool and pass the downloaded file as an input in the workflow?

ed_hayter
12 - Quasar

When you use a download tool the output of the tool will be a row for each URL processed. You will get the data in a cell that then usually needs to be parsed. Depending on format (JSON, XML etc.the URL could point to a CSV in which case splitting to rows and then splitting columns). So the data can be processed immediately after the download tool.

You also get a download header field that will give you a code telling you page not found with a 404 error, failed authorization i think is 401 or success being a 200 code.

You might consider caching and running the workflow right click the download tool and find the option to avoid making the download call repeatedly and reaching a call limit on the URL your download tool is pointed at.

Labels