Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Deselect/remove column

aparna0208
8 - Asteroid

Hi,

I'm trying to unselect/remove a column based on a condition. I have an email column where it could all be Empty or have values. If that column is empty it should be deselected. I tried this using dynamic select but for some reason I keep getting this error "unknown variable". Just wondering if I'm doing anything wrong or is there a better way to do this? Thank you in advance!

aparna0208_0-1671054391199.png

14 REPLIES 14
aparna0208
8 - Asteroid

@Felipe_Ribeir0 I can use this if my output has that column but what if it's not then it would error out. Before the whole logic of applying data cleansing tool I worked on another logic. The input file I'm using in my workflow may or may not have email column so had to write a logic for that using text input and union tool and then a formula tool which checks if email is null or has a value and ignore that column based on the condition. After that is what I'm using data cleansing tool. If I have to use the filter tool as below then it won't work when there is no email column in the output.

PanPP
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@aparna0208 

I believe you can create a flag column based on what values or output you are looking for and then filter out on that flag.

Hope this helps.

Felipe_Ribeir0
16 - Nebula

Hi @aparna0208 

You could union a text input with the column Email and without data just to allow the formula to work.

Felipe_Ribeir0_0-1671058886953.png

aparna0208
8 - Asteroid

@Felipe_Ribeir0 Before seeing this solution I tried the same and it worked:) Thank you so much for all your inputs:)

aparna0208_0-1671059832043.png

martinding
13 - Pulsar

Hi @aparna0208 

You could use a filter tool here, and prepare a list of common personal email providers as condition.

For example:

test.png

Labels