Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Daily Increase

jesuisbo
8 - Asteroid

Hi all,

This is probably a newbie question but I can't seem to figure out how to use the multi field or row tool for this. In my dataset I have multiple countries (approx. 30 of them), the date and the position in a chart. I would like to calculate the difference compared to the prior day in the dataset - grouped by country. I've attached an example of what I'm looking for - the yellow column shows the in- / decrease compared to the prior date, grouped per country.

Any help would be highly appreciated!

10 REPLIES 10
estherb47
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

@jesuisbo 

Hi! Multi-Row Formula tool should do it. Be sure to Group by Countryimage.png

jesuisbo
8 - Asteroid

@estherb47, This totally helped, thank you! The only issue I still need to solve however is that when an item enters the chart for the first time is shows a negative number with the position it entered on (instead of a null). Highlighted in image below.

Screenshot 2019-02-13 14.54.17.png

estherb47
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora
Are you using the grouping in the multi row formula tool?
jesuisbo
8 - Asteroid

@estherb47 - I am, yes. Please see screenshot below; 

Screenshot 2019-02-13 15.39.11.png

estherb47
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora
@jesuisbo, I’m wondering if it’s because you have two groups selected in the multi row formula tool. A little challenging to troubleshoot as I’m not on my computer at the moment.
estherb47
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora
There could also be something going on in whatever tool you’re using to summarize all of the countries together. Honestly just guessing at what could be off without a clear view of your workflow.

Cheers!
Esther
DavidP
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

I followed a very similar approach to @estherb47, but just put in one additional check in the multi-row formula to deal with the 1st row for each country.

multirow.png

estherb47
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora
Also, set the values for rows that don’t exist to NULL rather than zero. Noticed that difference in our configurations too.
jesuisbo
8 - Asteroid

This worked perfectly - thanks @DavidP & @estherb47, much appreciated! 

Labels