Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Crosstab over 32K output

kmontoya
7 - Meteor

Hello, 

I have a big set of data that I'm working with. I'm using the crosstab to layout the data the way I need however, I got the following error "number of fields is larger than the 32000 limit. Please reduce the number of fields". Can someone help me with this? 

5 REPLIES 5
alexnajm
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hard for us to help with any data, workflow, etc. but off hand, I would look at your configuration. The “Change Column Headers” will produce a new column for each unique value in that column, so likely you have over 32000 unique values in that column. 

caltang
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Yup, agreed with @alexnajm - kindly provide some data for us to look at. I reckon you have many unique groups in your records and you’re pivoting them to columns. Let’s have a look.

Calvin Tang
Alteryx ACE
https://www.linkedin.com/in/calvintangkw/
gawa
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

hi @kmontoya 

It seems Alteryx does not allow number of fields more than 32,000. 

image.png

Even in case of less than 32,000 fields but still a lot of fields, response of Alteryx Designer got worse. For example, I tried to Cross-tab for 32,000 fields, error doesn't appears but Alteryx Designer stopped and shut down when browsing output anchor of Cross-tab tool. 

In my thought, Cross-tab is normally aiming for ease of reading data for "human", thereby number of fields should be maximum 100 in my personal opinion. So I guess there is another way to process your data other than Cross-tab method.

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

you cannot have more fields than an int32 value (approximately 32k). You shouldn't need that many fields. If you have that many fields you are doing something incredibly wrong. Let's start by exporing why you have that many fields and what you are trying to do before we look to lay the blame at the alteryx programmers. what would you do with 32,000 columns?

Prometheus
12 - Quasar

@kmontoya You can reduce the number of fields by first filtering out the records you don't need. Then when you Cross Tab your data, you won't have as many fields. 

Labels