Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Creating output file based on file path Formula

CDIns
8 - Asteroid

I have created a formula in a new column called "File Name" that lays out the file path I want the files to go to and adding the date field to the output file:

"C:\Users\CDIns\Desktop\Alteryx"+[Date]+".xlsx|sheet1"

Where I'm getting lost is when I add the output tool. I have the bottom configured as shown in the attachment but it still wants me to set up a connection.  I am trying to create new output files, not write to existing ones saved on my desktop. My data set has 3 dates - 01/31/24, 02/29/24 & 03/31/24. 

How do I get it to output 3 files based on dates to the file path referenced above? I see a lot of post on this topic but can't seem to follow so apologies in advance! 

3 REPLIES 3
KGT
11 - Bolide

The output tool needs to still be configured as you are just replacing the name. Put in a dummy name (default.yxdb), it's an output, the software is not going to look for the file.

CDIns
8 - Asteroid

Thanks, KGT. I am still getting an errior that says: Can't open file the system cannot find the path specified. 

Attached is the error I am getting. Why is it trying to open a file?  All I want it to do is write to the destination. 

KGT
11 - Bolide

That took a minute....
Do you have slashes in the date? Do not put those into the filename, they will try to create extra directories. Replace the slashes in the date with dashes and then try.

Note: The output message is pointing to a file in C:\Desktop\Alteryx\01\31\24.xlsx and so your replace of filenames is correct, just including the slashes is not.

Labels