Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Comparing Data from Two Columns

Luca_Bevilacqua
5 - Atom

Hi, first day using the software [sigh]

I'm trying to find a way to compare and filter data from two columns in one dataset. Basically, my excel formula would be something like =IF(P2-O3>90,"True","False").  

This is the syntax I’m trying to use. Any help would be appreciated.

Luca_Bevilacqua_0-1658548430346.png

Luca_Bevilacqua_2-1658548841268.png

Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2
binuacs
20 - Arcturus

@Luca_Bevilacqua you can find the syntax in the below link

Conditional Functions | Alteryx Help

If you are trying to take the difference of Date fields then you should use the DateTime functions

DateTime Functions | Alteryx Help

binuacs_0-1658555742809.png

Hongsen_T
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@binuacs shared really good links which I still refer to often!

Thought to add something extra, sort of an "aha" moment I frequently observe for newer users. In your screenshot, I see that you have put the IF-ELSE statement into the FILTER tool. 

Actually, the FILTER tool simply needs an expression that can be evaluated as TRUE/FALSE. This means that something like [DT_EXE_SERV_CLEAN] > [DT_DOC_CLEAN] would work right away.

The other option which you thought of, using the IF-ELSE statement, would work as well. To achieve this, you could use a FORUMLA tool with the IF-ELSE statement, followed by a FILTER tool to filter by T/F.

Both methods work, it's a matter of preference and level of verbosity/clarity you would like in your workflow. Happy learning! 

Hongsen_T_0-1658725197209.png

Teo Hong Sen
Sales Engineer
Alteryx
Labels