Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Check if a particular value exists in a column and change formula accordingly

pratibhaprasad
5 - Atom

Hi Folks,

I am trying to recreate a formula like this in alteryx. Any way to do this?

Checking if a concatenation of a string exists in a column, if yes then replace another column based on that.

=IF(COUNTIF($B:$B,$A3&"HELLO")>0, "X", "Y")

4 REPLIES 4
mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @pratibhaprasad ,

You need the REGEX_CountMatches function:

REGEX_CountMatches([String], "Hello")

This will return a 1 or 0 representing yes or no. You can then wrap that in an IF statement to do what you want.

M.

Bulien

pratibhaprasad
5 - Atom

I want to compare each cell with each value within a column, if the count is greater than 0 then the condition is fulfilled. 

pedrodrfaria
13 - Pulsar

Hi @pratibhaprasad 

I attached a practical example of how you can accomplish the function you mentioned.

If you need help understanding it, let me know, providing a sample dataset would be helpful as well, but the example attached covers checking for a concatenation of one column with a different column being compared and then updating an existing column.

Pedro.

SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hey @pratibhaprasad 

Depending on how you want the output to be structured, there are a few ways to go about this.

It may be worth attaching a sample of your desired output - here's a guide that may help 

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Community-Resources/Posting-for-Fastest-Possible-Solution/t...

If what you're trying to do is to find columns that have string concatenations in them; and break these down into separate columns - then you could use the text-to-columns tool; or Regex - it all depends on what input you have and how you want the output to look.

Labels