Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Change temp folder path in user settings (Virtual environment)

jforte
7 - Meteor

Hello all, I was wondering if anyone knows a way to change the default temp folder path (C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Temp\) to something like D:\<user>\Alteryx\Temp

I'm running the Designer in a virtual environment and every new login, logs with a fresh created profile, which means that setting needed to be setup as "default".

My expectation would be that C:\ProgramData\Alteryx\RuntimeSettings.xml would have this setting, but I can't seem to find it, or it needs to be defined, or there's some other way.

Looking forward to any hints

4 REPLIES 4
marcusblackhill
12 - Quasar
12 - Quasar

Hi @jforte !

You can do that going in options - > User setting -> edit user settings, press "override system setting" and select a new folder in "default temporary directory" field

marcusmontenegro_0-1616097895933.png

Hope that helps!

FlorianC
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @jforte,

In addition to the option that @marcusblackhill mentioned under user settings, this information is stored within the RunimeSettings.xml configuration file as DefaultTempFilePath.

Florian Carrier
Strategic Solution Consultant
Alteryx
JPSeagull
8 - Asteroid

Hi. I have a need to drop PDFs created with the render tool to a project folder for another team member. There will be additional new projects where they want PDFs to send out in emails, so it's not feasible to change my user settings if now I have to distribute PDFs. Would a formula tool articulating specific file paths work?

FlorianC
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @JPSeagull,

Absolutely. You can set a static path in the Render Tool directly, or use the Formula Tool to build the full path and use the Group Data Into Separate Reports option to replace the entire path with the field value.

Florian Carrier
Strategic Solution Consultant
Alteryx
Labels