Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Capture Dynamic Input Errors

Winston
7 - Meteor

I'm working on a project to load in data from several Access database files and move it to an Oracle database.  I know some of the data contained in the Access database files has issues such as malformed dates.  I want to capture these issues and have then corrected before we import and move to the new database.  I'm using a Dynamic input to bring in data from each of the files, but as it encounters a bad date it puts a Conversion Error message in the results window, but that doesn't help me to determine which record has the issue.  Is it possible to "Trap" these errors as they occur and have some sort of flag inserted in the data to indicate what records have issues?  I can write formulas to test all the data once it has been loaded, but since it already knows there is an error, it would be nice to take advantage of that knowledge so I'm not parsing the data multiple times.

Winston_1-1641836522473.png        Winston_0-1641836452211.png

Is this possible, or do I just have to run additional formulas to determine which records are affected?

2 REPLIES 2
binuacs
20 - Arcturus

@Winston I am assuming your date datatype is string, the below formula should work to track the invalid date. 

binuacs_0-1641837632924.png

Winston
7 - Meteor

@binuacs  Thanks for the response, this is essentially the formula I'm using for the verification after the data has been read in.  The Dynamic Input sets the field to DateTime, but the fist thing I do is set it to V_WString and check for hidden characters then check format and convert back to DateTime.

Just wondering if I can tap into the error messages that are generated by the Dynamic Input tools so I don't need to test with a formula.

I have a programming background and always try to make code have a small footprint.  So when something is completed in a previous step, I try to use that information instead of creating new code.

Labels