Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Cannot convert V_WString to Date/Time

AttilaBalint
6 - Meteoroid

Hello,

I'm quite new to Alteryx and could not figure this one out yet despite checking the forum.

So, I have this data which looks like this in the csv file:

AttilaBalint_0-1678814350614.png

This column is deemed V_WString in Alteryx and if I change it to Date with the select tool, it will give the message that it is not a valid date.
So I tried to convert it using the DateTime tool but whatever I write unde custom, I get the below warning:

AttilaBalint_1-1678814597904.png

I would need to be able to set the column to date format as I need to filter it for the current month but since I can't, the filtering formula does not work.

So the question is, do any of you know a way to change this data to date or a way to filter the String so it will give me the current month only. In excel I could work this out by using a formula which includes a current month function converted to text (I could get the JAN, FEB, MAR, etc part) and use that as a "contain" filter option but I have no idea how to do it in Alteryx

Thanks in advance for you help.

12 REPLIES 12
AttilaBalint
6 - Meteoroid

Yes, it worked very nicely, thank a lot. :) 

Is there maybe a way to avoid this manual clicking? There will be 3 more sheets on the file and it would be awesome if this could be done automatically somehow.

AttilaBalint
6 - Meteoroid

Hehe, well, I was expecting that. :D

They are indeed separate flows and the only common thing is that they will go to the same excel file at the end. I was just hoping there is a way to cram all into one flow with one single click to run it but I kinda new this will not work. :D

Thank you very much for making my very first Alteryx automation fun and rewarding! 

I still have 3 sheets to go, so I might come back with a few questions in the coming days.

Have a nice day! :)

BS_THE_ANALYST
14 - Magnetar

@AttilaBalint you can indeed cram them all in to one workflow, somehow. It can happen, it'll just depend on how you build the workflow. Trust me. 99.9% sure that can be achieved though! 

Anyway, congrats on at least getting it working 💪!

But there will be an easier way to do this that involves less manual work, that's the whole point with Alteryx, we're trying to stop the repetitive manual tasks and automate them. Just gotta figure out how to build it 😂😎.

All the best,
BS

Labels