Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Calculating days between tasks while taking in account for business days

rdeguzman
6 - Meteoroid

Hi Community,

I am trying to build a workflow that will calculate some SLAs between tasks, but I have to take in account for Business days only.

Note: I have looked at a lot of the workflows but they don't seem to be what I am looking for. Maybe there is one that I missed?

Attached is my current workflow with dummy data added in and the calculations I currently have for calendar day, but just cant seem to get the business days to work.

2 REPLIES 2
AngelosPachis
16 - Nebula

Hi @rdeguzman ,

I would try a slightly different approach to answer that question. The first thing I would do is pivot the data to bring the table in a long format. That may not seem intuitive in the first place, but it will make it easier to process the data.

After parsing the date string to a date data type, you can use a multi-row formula to find the start and end dates for each task for each service ID. For task #1, the start date would be unknown, but either way you were trying to estimate the dates between task 1 and task 2 and so on.

AngelosPachis_1-1636131016749.png

Then with a generate rows tool, you can create all dates between the start date and end date of each task, find the weekday with a formula tool and then exclude the weekends (keep only business days).

Finally with a summarize tool, you can find the dates passed between each task.

AngelosPachis_0-1636130944214.png

You can then process the data further if you want to find the time to completion between task 1 and task 5 by aggregating the [Bus Days to task completion] column accordingly.

Hope that helps,

Angelos

rdeguzman
6 - Meteoroid

@AngelosPachis That helped get me on the right track. THe problem I have is with my actual data, I have more tasks (47 to be exact) and between task 1 and 2 there are 3 others...and so on. So I was able to filter out the specific tasks and use your work to help with mine.

Thanks!

Labels