Important Community update: The process for changing your account details was updated on June 25th. Learn how this impacts your Community experience and the actions we suggest you take to secure your account here.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Cache and Run Workflow

hanoverhunter
6 - Meteoroid

Hi,

I've selected to "cache and run workflow" for the tool circled in red (see screenshot below).  Two questions:

1. Why does this cause the caching of every tool in the workflow that isn't downstream of the selected tool?  I thought it only caused the caching of those tools that are upstream of the selected tool (there are only three upstream tools from the circled tool).
  2. What is the difference between the cached tools with blue and gray bubbles?  Is it just to show which tool was selected for caching (blue) while the rest (gray) are "collateral damage" (i.e., additionally cached as a result of another tool being cached)?

Thanks!

cache.jpg

9 REPLIES 9
aatalai
14 - Magnetar

Hi @hanoverhunter 

will answer this in reverse 

2) this were the data is stored - think of it like your new data input, if you run the workflow again the grey blobs will have nothing in their output anchors

1) this is one is a hunch it is because the downstream branch off into them.

Hope this helps 

hanoverhunter
6 - Meteoroid

Thanks for your response @aatalai.  In response back:

1. No, the only tools downstream of the tool I cached are the only ones that weren't also cached as a result.  If you look at the screenshot you'll see that downstream it doesn't branch into the others.
  2. Sorry, but I don't follow what you're saying.
aatalai
14 - Magnetar

@hanoverhunter in response to number 2) try running the workflow again. And if you press on the output anchor for the greyed out tools you will not see anything, the only data you will see is in the blue blob and all the none blob ones, hope that helps clarify, if not let me know

cjaneczko
13 - Pulsar

The blue bubble is the endpoint of your cached data. All the the grey boxes are upstream of the cached tool. 

What version of Alteryx are you running? And are you running the workflow with or without AMP Engine? 

cjaneczko
13 - Pulsar

Also the tool you selected uses both of the Input Tools in the Import box. So its going to cache everything else that those two Input Tools feed in your workflow. 

hanoverhunter
6 - Meteoroid

Okay, now I see what you mean. If I "cache and run workflow," then "run" again, I can no longer see the output of the tools in grey bubbles.

hanoverhunter
6 - Meteoroid

@cjaneczko, I'm running Designer 2023.2 with AMP engine.

Okay, yes, from testing some more it seems that the gray bubbles indicate anything that is related in any way to an upstream tool, including things such as going upstream, then through a different downstream, then back through another upstream. This design seems counterintuitive to me as it appears to cache more data than necessary.

Also, after caching and then running again I lose the ability to see the output of all tools in gray bubbles. Do you know why?

cjaneczko
13 - Pulsar

Its only Caching the data in that tool thats selected. If you want to see whats on the others i would hold CTRL down and select all of the tools you want to see cached and then right click and Cache and Run. Keep in mind any tools that are in a Circle cannot be cached. Circle is the condition where the output of a tool is being combined with a different component of the same data stream. A tool before a Join for example cant be cached.

hanoverhunter
6 - Meteoroid

@cjaneczko, thanks for info. I'm tracking with everything you've said, but I don't know that I agree with Alteryx's design logic...but that's whole different issue. Thanks again for helping me out.

Labels