Join the Alteryx Community’s Maveryx Summer Cup event! Compete, network with others, and earn your gold through a series of challenges from July 24th to August 11th. Learn more about the event here.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Bulk email addresses validation

AbhijeetChib
8 - Asteroid

Good day Everyone 

I have designed a workflow that sends email notifications to 5000 users. I get the email addresses for the users from my organizations HR portal. My question is how I find out if any of the 5000 employees email addresses are inactive (by inactive I mean that the email is correct, but the employee has left the org) ? I know and have tested in Alteryx that if it encounters an inactive email the workflow terminates and all subsequent emails following the inactive email are not sent. 

So is there a way in Alteryx where I can validate if an email ID is valid or not, also is it possible for the workflow to not terminate if it encounters an inactive email. 

Thanks 

4 REPLIES 4
DanFlint
8 - Asteroid

Hi @AbhijeetChib 

The simplest option I can think of would be to use the email recipients list as a control parameter input.

This would mean each email is sent separately as it's own run within a batch macro.

Each time the macro was run with an inactive email address it will report an error within the macro, but should move on to the next email address in the list.

The downside to this is that it may increase the runtime of your workflow and the emails would not all be sent at the exact same time.

Hope this helps!

AbhijeetChib
8 - Asteroid

Thank you @DanFlint 

My email tool takes a table as the body and To and CC takes values from - email1 and email 2 fields from the workflow. 

Can you please share an example of how to set up this macro, i have never used a batch macro. 

Regards 

Abhijeet 

DanFlint
8 - Asteroid

@AbhijeetChibI'd recommend this article as an intro to batch macros: https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Knowledge-Base/Getting-Started-with-Batch-Macros/t... 

You can set up some control parameters for the To and CC email addresses.

The actions from these can either update the email tool directly, or update a formula tool or text input which can be the fields used in the email tool.

AbhijeetChib
8 - Asteroid

Thanks @DanFlint 

Labels