Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Batch Macro Efficiency

Aj4151987
6 - Meteoroid

Hi all--I have a two part question I'm hoping you can help me with. I have a batch macro that is creating the majority of what will be my final data set. I'm attaching a sample that hopefully makes it easier to understand my question. As you can see my data set has 31 LOBs and the workflow is running 31 queries with a different LOB each time. First off, I don't know if this is the most efficient way to do this but the reason I'm running it as a batch macro is because when I run it as an entire query it always times out on me. Ideally I'd like to run it 2-3 LOBs at a time but I had issues getting that right. So question 1 is: is this the most efficient way to break up a large query into smaller chunks to get it to run fine without timing out? Second (this part may be needed in order to answer the first piece) question is--the results of this macro are going to be used as the main data input to a standard workflow where they'll be joined onto another table and then make it's way down the workflow. I've added the macro to the main workflow and it often runs fine (maybe 80% of the time) without timing out or just taking an abnormally long time to run as part of the main workflow. I've  kind of settled on using the method I have in the screenshot attached; where I use control containers to allow the macro to first run and produce the output ("NDB + Vendor") which will then serve as the input for the rest of the workflow. So my second question is simply one regarding efficiency. Is there anything any of you experts can see that I may be missing that would yield more efficient processing of my workflow? I plan to schedule and publish this to the gallery but would like to make sure I've done my best to optimize it first. Any insight is greatly appreciated, thank you!

1 REPLY 1
Aj4151987
6 - Meteoroid

Sorry I forgot to post the workflow.

Labels