Join the Alteryx Community’s Maveryx Summer Cup event! Compete, network with others, and earn your gold through a series of challenges from July 24th to August 11th. Learn more about the event here.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Alteryx output for reporting

JohnDw6
5 - Atom

Dear all,

I would like to transform a simple database to more complex output format that will be used for reporting under Excel. 

Please find attached the input and output format. How would you approach such a transformation it in an Alteryx workflow? Do you think it is feasible?

Many thanks in advance for your help,
John

6 REPLIES 6
Amol_Telore
11 - Bolide

Hey @JohnDw6 

Here is my solution. I split the workflow into two section. Date and Header. Did table formatting and then merge the data to generated final report.

PFA for reference.

Amol_Telore_0-1661860286969.png

JohnDw6
5 - Atom

Many thanks Amol! It is an inspiring solution.

Unfortunately, it has been challenging so far to test it on a real dataset with 16k records (workflow has been running for an hour now...)

Amol_Telore
11 - Bolide

@JohnDw6 will you be able to share some sample dataset ? I will see if I can do any performance improvement or find work around.

JohnDw6
5 - Atom

Thanks for your reply Amol! Unfortunately I am not able to share the dataset...

I stopped the workflow after 5h+ of running and am trying now to split the data by year, and try pivoting it, with hope of a more simple solution. Any help is welcome!

Hereafter I add a simplified version of the input/output format:

Account Level 1Account Level 2CC Level 1CC Level 2Allocation typeValue
Account group 1Account ACC group 1CC AType A $10
Account group 1Account BCC group 1CC BType A $25
Account group 2Account CCC group 2CC CType B $100
Account group 2Account DCC group 2CC DType A $75

JohnDw6
5 - Atom

Output would ideally look like: 

ValueValueValueValueTotal
 Allocation Type AAllocation Type AAllocation Type AAllocation Type BTotal
 CC group 1CC group 2CC group 2CC group 2Total
Account detailsCC ACC BCC DCC CTotal
Account group 1  $10$25  $35
Account A $10   $10
Account B $25  $25
Account group 2  $75$100$175
Account C   $100$100
Account D  $75 $75
Total$10$25$75$100$210

Thanks!

Amol_Telore
11 - Bolide

Hey @JohnDw6 

There could be various reasons for performance issues. Since I do not have access to actual data, Unfortunately I will not be able to identify the issue and fine tune the process. But from my experience, I suspect below are the three reasons that might be causing the performance issue.

1. Append Field: We are doing cross join in the process. So there is possibility that data is getting duplicated at some node in the workflow if we have not removed duplicates prior doing cross join. Please check this point wherever we are using Append Fields tool.
  2. Browse Tool: Disable all browse tools through workflow configuration as it takes time to render all the information and we have used it multiple times in the workflow for testing.
  3. Render Tool: Rendering report takes time and depending upon data volume render time may increase. As of now, I do not have any solution for this as it is default behavior of render tool. If your data is not going to change, I mean if header is going to be same all the time then you may create a template file and then write data to that template file using output data tool. This way we can reduce the render time required here.

Hope this helps you to debug the process at some extent. 

Regards,

Amol Telore

Labels