Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

2 Standard Macros -- where Output from Macro 1 Needs to be Input for Macro 2

TomBock
8 - Asteroid

Hello Experts:

I need some assistance with modifying/extending a *sample* workflow that uses a standard macro.

Allow me first explain the concept -- see attached XLSX file and reference 1st tab 'Single_Workflow':
- User selects "Box Size" (cell D2)
- Column F ("Number of Boxes") is updated accordingly

This XLSX concept is replicated in Alteryx:
- Workflow "Single_Workflow_v01" utilizes standard macro "Macro_Single_Workflow_v01"
- Upon opening "Single_Workflow_v01", highlight the macro and select either {3, 6, 12} from "Select Box Size"
- Then "Run"

- Just like in Excel, depending on the value selected from the drop-down, the "Number of Boxes" calculated in Alteryx mimics the calculation in Excel

... so far so good

Now, let's review the 2nd tab in the XLSX file (tab 'Multiple_Workflows'):
- Here, the previous process (call it "Phase A") is the same.
- Now, however, I have added another factor ("Factor X")... "phase 2"
- Once a value is selected from the drop down {7, 8, 9}, "number of boxes" is multiplied by factor X and the output is shown in column J.

Just like before, I want to replicate the 1st AND 2nd phase in Alteryx:
- The key, however, is that I would like (for demo purposes only right now), to create two (2) separate standard macros.
- Specifically, the 2nd standard macro now needs to take the macro 1's output and input to macro 2.

... and this is where I'm having trouble.

Recap:
- File "Multiple_Workflows_v01" shall use
- Macro "Macro_Multiple_Workflows_PhaseA_v01" AND "Macro_Multiple_Workflows_PhaseB_v01"
- Once the IO is resolved in the 2nd macro, I merely want to have a) Text Input b) Macro_Phase_A, c) Macro_Phase_B, and d) Browse

Does anyone have a suggestion how to resolve the IO issue between the 2 macros?

Thank you,
Tom

4 REPLIES 4
Yoshiro_Fujimori
15 - Aurora

Hi @TomBock ,

Do you need to stick to Standard Macro?

Your case seems to be more suitable for using Chain App.

You may find below pages useful.

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Interactive-Lessons/Chaining-Analytic-Apps/ta-p/243120

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Weekly-Challenge/Challenge-175-Tire-Size-Calculator/m-p/447639/high...

Pang_Hee_Choy
12 - Quasar

it more like an app application instead of chains.

Pang_Hee_Choy_0-1679449071508.png

TomBock
8 - Asteroid

@Yoshiro_Fujimori -- I'm relatively new to Alterx so I am not quite familiar with the Chain App... sounds like a plan,.

@Pang_Hee_Choy -- same comment as above.   The difference between what you illustrated in the JPG is as follows.

1. I'd like to save the actions of each phase into two separate files.

2. So, the output of phase A needs to become the input of phase B.

3. And, lastly, on the main canvas, I should have only four (4) objects:  Input, PhaseA (single tool), PhaseB (single tool), Browse.   

See *conceptual* process in the attached JPG.

Would that still work w/ the chain app?

Thanks.

Pang_Hee_Choy
12 - Quasar

although there have limit in input anchor. 

but it does not have limit on output anchor.

so we can add output after the 1st macro.

Pang_Hee_Choy_1-1679620816568.png

Labels