Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #356: Spelling Bee

ehallock
6 - Meteoroid

Are you able to upload the file? Or a screenshot of the RegEx config? I was trying to do something similar to this, but not being familiar with RegEx at all, I was having difficulty coming up with the correct expression.

ehallock
6 - Meteoroid
Spoiler
ehallock_0-1675285660851.png

If you don't mind, would you help me to understand your configuration for the RegEx? I believe that the brackets turn the letters we are looking for into a character set that is then matched against the specified field, right? But then what does the "+" do? 

I was trying to get this to work for ages (Im not familiar with RegEx or perl) and in my looking I didn't come across the use of the "+" combined with the set.

Amy_smart
11 - Bolide

Here is my solution! 

TungThanhHo
8 - Asteroid

my solution

Wasim7568
7 - Meteor

Challenge #356: Spelling Bee solution

sergejs_kutkovics
9 - Comet

Hi, @ehallock !

Yes, you are correct that brackets in a regular expression create a character set, which specifies a group of characters that can match a single character position in the searched text. The "+" symbol in this context is a quantifier that specifies that the preceding character or character set should be matched one or more times.

So in the context of [alteryx]+, this regular expression will match any sequence of characters that starts with the letters "a", "l", "t", "e", "r", "y", or "x" and is followed by one or more repetitions of the same set of characters. For example, "alteryx", "alteryxyxyx", "rex", and "tall" would all match this expression, while "ab" or "challenge" would not.

Watermark
12 - Quasar
12 - Quasar

Too many tools, not happy with myself, but it's the middle of the night and it was quick. 

Found it ambiguous that the instructions said must use the 'center letter',
           is that second row (middle row?) or does that mean the center field (field 2?)  (obviously you only get the matching answer one way)

Spoiler
Solution_356_MT.jpg

FrederikE
13 - Pulsar
Spoiler
FrederikE_0-1675330010621.png

becky-pattinson
7 - Meteor

Spent far too long figuring out how to get started on this one. Definitely tried over-engineering it with macros etc

Spoiler
beckypattinson_0-1675335239505.png

Ray_Pospisil
8 - Asteroid

could be done with manual input of "alteryx" in regex but this would not be so dynamic, should the list be longer