Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #32: Alteryx '16 Grand Prix (Race 2, L2)

TraceyD
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Final lap!

BeginnerMindset
8 - Asteroid

Done. About 6 min. Thanks

clmc9601
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

My solution

aiahwieder
8 - Asteroid

Another short n sweet one!

alexnajm
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Loved this solution! Maybe not the most efficient, but done in under 10 minutes 🙂

Milanz
8 - Asteroid

😉

Spoiler
Milanz_0-1610738509111.png

Toons
12 - Quasar

My solution :

Spoiler
Toons_0-1611519659125.png

mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

About 10 minutes. I struggled to drag the distance in miles calculation from the festering depths of my brain...

Spoiler
Using a trick I stumbled across with a client a year or so back, I first sorted the data into order by latitude descending. That's probably obvious to you sailors out there, but let me have this one...
This gave the order of each site from North to South. I then stuck these into a "Create Points" tool to give me the centroids. I then unioned the Inspire location, changing the spatial object name to "Centroid" and ensuring the order was the Inspire location first. 
Then it was a simple matter of creating the mult-row formula using ST_Distance([Row-1:Centroid],[Centroid],"Miles"), which I couldn't get right for about two minutes...This gave me the distance in miles between each point respectively. 
I then summed that total and multiplied it by the Uber cost per mile.
Boosh.

mceleavey_0-1612366500091.png

mceleavey_1-1612366522141.png

This was a really good challenge as it shows you don't always need the spatial tools to do spatial calculations. I think I was lucky I'd done something pretty much like this in the real world fairly recently.

M.

Bulien

ACW
6 - Meteoroid

Slow start 🤔 but ended up straight forward

hannahc
8 - Asteroid

Solution attached!

Spoiler
32.JPG