Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #128: Settle the Score

Sashikumar
8 - Asteroid

My Solution.

Spoiler
ch128.PNG
Steph_Maddrell
8 - Asteroid
Spoiler
Steph_Maddrell_0-1622321411674.png
AntDavis42
7 - Meteor

My Solution. great to do some regex as it always goes over my head.

Spoiler
AntDavis42_0-1622538973295.png

vbrown
8 - Asteroid

My solution.

Erin
9 - Comet
Spoiler
Extra self inflicted practice with the transpose / crosstab tools because originally my results were like this:
BronzeFox_1-1624051962589.png

But flipped them to this to be consistent with the output file: 
BronzeFox_2-1624051970917.png

Also, curious to see how others solved the score issue because I just made a text input lookup file with the corresponding values. It felt like cheating. 
BronzeFox_0-1624051952971.png

Erin
9 - Comet

Thanks @NicoleJohnson ! 

Spoiler
I knew RegEx could account for the Uppercase / Lowercase scoring but couldn't conceptualize how to do it. So glad you posted it! 
euanwilson
8 - Asteroid

Formula's upon Formula's. 

Spoiler
So for this one I decided to change the uppercase score denominators into numbers, 1 = A, 2 = B and so on.
Next I used formulas with Regex CountMatches to count the number of instances of each score  denominator by round. 
I used a select tool to change the fields to 'double' before the next round of formulas. 
To calculate the score of each player in each round I then just used formula's to subtract the negative scores from the total of positive scores. A select tool was then used to remove the now irrelevant columns and rename the relevant ones.

A transpose tool followed by a cross tab was then used to get the round numbers as the column headers and grouped by the score of each player. A select tool was used to rename the column headers and a final formula was used to calculate the total score of each player. 

Workflow.PNGResults.PNG
derekbelyea
12 - Quasar
Spoiler

derekbelyea_1-1624580680632.png

Raghusrnvs
5 - Atom

Here is my solution.

cwkoops
8 - Asteroid

Likely a better approach than this, but not too bad.