Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #60: Fill in the Spatial Object

JoeM
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

The solution to last week's challenge can be found HERE.

This week we are changing it up a bit and pulling a question that was asked to the Community last week! The issue was that the user had a spatial object that had "holes" inside the object. The challenge was to fill in any holes within the object. The answer to this solution can be solved in very few steps, but the challenge comes in knowing or discovering the right configurations within the tools used to solve the problem. If you would like any hints or to find out how the question was solved, check out the original post which also contains the solution:

Spoiler

Max06270
7 - Meteor

Hi guys,

I got something working with very few tools. To be honest I had no idea how this was going to work out, was just playing around with the spacial tools and.. oh it works! I guess this approach can be ok sometimes lol.

Spoiler
Capture.PNG

Thanks for the challenge and have a great week,

Maxime

alex
11 - Bolide

I couldn't get it to work using the same exact workflow as shown in the example.  I received the following error.  Is that because I don't have

spatial package?

wk60.JPG

So I tried a slightly different way and achieved the correct answer.  I also tried using the spatial match to verify.  You can see the bold borders indicating the 2 are stacked on top of each other.

Spoiler
wk60_2.JPGwk60_3.JPG 

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@JoeM,

I found a "hole" in New Mexico that wasn't a hole, but more of a wedge.  I ended up summarizing and combining the 3rd polygon.  

Cheers,

Mark

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
Natasha
9 - Comet

Thanks for the challenge. I had a good play around with spatial tools.

At first, I got carried away with building more polygons from existing polygons, but after some trial and error, I had a peek at the hint which quickly led me to the same solution as others.

Spoiler
challenge 60_answer.PNG

I would prefer not to have hints like this easily available, as it's so hard to resist them. It's supposed to be a challenge anyway :)

JoeM
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@alex, yes it appears that that solution was using a TomTom map that comes with data install. No fear because we have plenty of other base maps :)

paul_houghton
12 - Quasar

It took a while for me to think it through, then I thought it ended up being nice a simple. It's just not easy if you don't use the spatial tools very often.

Spoiler
Weekly Challenge Solution.jpg
MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@paul_houghton,

I'll drink to that 

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
NaiLo
8 - Asteroid

Beautifully simple solution, happy it's my first (published) Alteryx challenge!

Spoiler
2017-03-08_14-32-52.png

JoeM
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

The solution for challenge #60 has been published!