We've recently made an accessibility improvement to the community and therefore posts without any content are no longer allowed. Please use the spoiler feature or add a short message in the message body in order to submit your weekly challenge.
The Alteryx Community is currently in implementation of the new SSO experience starting at 5pm MDT. PLEASE DO NOT POST ANYTHING. For more information, read the blog.

Weekly Challenge

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

We're actively looking for ideas on how to improve Weekly Challenges and would love to hear what you think!

Submit Feedback

Challenge #39: Trouble Shooting a Broken Macro

Nicholas_Bignell
8 - Asteroid
 
lindalo
8 - Asteroid

done!

sonyakasenkramer
8 - Asteroid

That was a fun one! I love troubleshooting.

Spoiler
sonyakasenkramer_0-1581969419990.png

 

MDel
8 - Asteroid
 
Simonvm9114
8 - Asteroid

Here's my solution

andyjohnstone2
7 - Meteor

After watching JoeM's excellent video on batch macros this was solvable for me:  https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Videos/Build-Your-First-Batch-Macro/td-p/52900.

 

mceleavey
14 - Magnetar

For someone who writes broken macros all the time, this was straightforward, what with all the practise...

 

Spoiler
So, the first error is an append error, which tells me there are more than 16 records to be appended. This is to prevent the Append tool creating a cartesian join and producing billions of rows in error. In this case we need to allows all appends:
mceleavey_0-1582894473513.png

mceleavey_1-1582894589334.png


The next problem was a missing field:

mceleavey_2-1582894727439.png

This is due to the fact that the fields "Open Date" and "Closed Date" had been converted and then re-named to "Open_Date" and "Closed_Date":

mceleavey_5-1582894913330.png

I simply dropped the underscore for these fields.

 

The next was another unknown field:
mceleavey_6-1582895002458.png

This was simply due to a missing bracket when denoting the column name:

mceleavey_7-1582895058696.png

I amended this to include the bracket after "[Close Date"

The next problem was there were no records being returned. This is because the date conversion tool was looking for the incorrect date format on the incoming field:

mceleavey_8-1582895207776.png

I changed the format to Month dd, yyyy which now matches the incoming date on both fields.


The final problem was the results were only being shown for one month. This is driven by the control parameter, and so this was not being passed through. This was due to the fact that the wireless connection on the action tool to the month input did not have a connection. I made the connection wired, attached the connector and this resolved the problem.
mceleavey_9-1582895692774.pngmceleavey_10-1582895770085.png

 

hayley9
8 - Asteroid

Here is my solution.

Pang_Hee_Choy
8 - Asteroid
 
mpennington
11 - Bolide

Solution attached.

 

Spoiler
MP39.png